Monday 10 September 2012

Blessings and Curses

Each week, the Jewish people study a portion of the Torah, called the Parshat. The Pentateuch (five books of Moses) is divided into 54 portions or 'Parshiyot', thus making it possible to read the whole Torah over the course of a year. It is customary to read the Parshat on Shabbat morning in the synagogue and typically, seven members of the congregation are 'called up' (this is called an 'Alijah') to read a section of the Parshat of the week in Hebrew in sequence. It is a great honour to receive an Alijah, although often the Rabbi will read in Hebrew while the member of the congregation holds the Torah scroll for him.

In this week's Parshat (Ki Tavo) we read about the famous "blessings and curses" which Mosche pronounced on Mount Gerizim and Ebal. The curses were spoken from Mt. Ebal, while the blessings were spoken from Mt. Gerizim. I am listing below part of the Parshat, which you can follow in Deut. 27.9-26 (translation from David Stern "The Complete Jewish Bible"):


9 Next Moshe and the cohanim, who are L'vi'im, spoke to all Isra'el. They said, "Be quiet; and listen, Isra'el! Today you have become the people of ADONAI your God. 10 Therefore you are to listen to what ADONAI your God says and obey his mitzvot and laws, which I am giving you today." 11 That same day Moshe commissioned the people as follows: 12 "These are the ones who are to stand on Mount G'rizim and bless the people after you have crossed the Yarden: Shim'on, Levi, Y'hudah, Yissakhar, Yosef and Binyamin; 13 while these are to stand on Mount 'Eival for the curse: Re'uven, Gad, Asher, Z'vulun, Dan and Naftali. 14 The L'vi'im, speaking loudly, will proclaim to every man of Isra'el: 15 "'A curse on anyone who makes a carved or metal image, something ADONAI detests, the handiwork of a craftsman, and sets it up in secret!'All the people are to respond by saying, 'Amen!' 16 "'A curse on anyone who dishonors his father or mother.'All the people are to say, 'Amen!' 17 "'A curse on anyone who moves his neighbor's boundary marker.' All the people are to say, 'Amen!' 18 "'A curse on anyone who causes a blind person to lose his way on the road.'All the people are to say, 'Amen!' 19 "'A curse on anyone who interferes with justice for the foreigner, orphan or widow.'All the people are to say, 'Amen!' 20 "'A curse on anyone who has sexual relations with his father's wife, because he has violated his father's rights.'All the people are to say, 'Amen!' 21 "'A curse on anyone who has sexual relations with any kind of animal.' All the people are to say, 'Amen!' 22 "'A curse on anyone who has sexual relations with his sister, no matter whether she is the daughter of his father or of his mother.'All the people are to say, 'Amen!' 23 "'A curse on anyone who has sexual relations with his mother-in-law.' All the people are to say, 'Amen!' 24 "'A curse on anyone who secretly attacks a fellow member of the community.'All the people are to say, 'Amen!' 25 "'A curse on anyone who accepts a bribe to kill an innocent person.' All the people are to say, 'Amen!' 26 "'A curse on anyone who does not confirm the words of this Torah by putting them into practice.'All the people are to say, 'Amen!'
 
Did you notice something? Did you read the text carefully? There is no condemnation of homosexuality. Neither in the 10 Commandments nor in this important Parshat on forbidden sexual relations, is there even a hint of condemnation against same-sex love. The sacred texts of the Tanakh and the Brit Hadasha ("Old" and "New" Testament) contain the very words of HaShem, the words of life and hope. Homosexual believers need not be afraid to take the Bible seriously. We have nothing to fear from the G-d of ALL grace, who passionately cares for this gay and lesbian children.

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow.. I didn't really connect the dots until you post this one. My partner tried to teach me about the Parshat, which when he mentioned the word it gave me a blank tone. Although I bear with it, I had no clue what we were doing even until we finish the reading.
    I guess with all these different terms, it takes quite sometimes to absorb the new faith, especially when you're converting from christianity to Judaism.
    Excuse me, let me correct myself. I mean converting to be a Messianic Jew.

    When I was in Sunday school, we have this daily reading which I just totally connect the dots now. It's kind of similar with Parshat!

    So does this mean that after reading the 54 Parshiyot, we wil get back into reading the same thing again every year?
    No complaints here. Just trying to understand.

    I'm also glad that no homosexuality condemnation is mentioned in the Parshat. However, forgive me for raising the question. There is no condemnation about sexual relations with the father, brother or father in law. However I believe that this does not make it acceptable.

    This question derives from somebody who used to fancy his cousin when he was little. Ugh hmm.. Not me of course! Just sayin.

    Yv

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anonymous. Thank you for your perceptive and intelligent feedback. Firstly, a warm Mazal Tov on your decision to embrace Messianic Judaism. WOW, that's just wonderful to hear. You are embarking on the most fascinating spiritual journey you can imagine. But remember, it's a journey, not a marathon. Take your time. You are connecting with Jewish history, the Jewish people, the Jewish scriptures, a Jewish worldview and way of thinking. I pray that your partner will be gentle and patient with you as this is a big decision you have taken. Have you considered a Mikhveh (baptism)? I pray that Messiah Yeshua will be at the very heart of your relationship as you grow together.

    I'm afraid there is no end to the cycle of the annual Torah reading. We end on Simchat Torah (when Jews in synagogues around the world dance in the synagogue with a Torah scroll) and then start all over again. We've been doing this for a few thousand years, so it gets easier with practise :-) Joking aside, as we study Torah (and the Haftarah also, which is a reading from the Prophets along with a suitable scripture from the Brit Hadashah or NT) each year, we learn more and more about the depth, wisdom and beauty of Torah - the very foundation of the Jewish faith and the Jewish people. But we should never forget that the Torah doesn't begin with the Jewish people at all - it begins with the story of creation and people made in the imagage of G-d. Jews sometimes forget that!

    Your last question is very perceptive. And yes, you are right, just because certain sexual practises are not mentioned in the Parshat, doesn't make them acceptable. Although I would argue that Moshe is highlighting the key parameters, rather than mentioning every conceivable combination. If homosexuality was indeed a sin, this would have been the perfect place to make it plain, but the Parshat is silent on the issue. I would not want to create a theological construct from one Parshat, but I simply found it interesting that homosexuality gets no mention.

    I really appreciate your feedback and intelligent questions. I know that this blog is being read around the world and just wish more would come forward and engage in dialogue, as we can all learn from each other.

    Raphael and I are praying that HaShem will guide you on your spiritual journey as you embrace Him and become acquainted with Yeshua HaMashiach, the physical manifestation of the G-d of Israel, our elder Brother and Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Avigdor, all I can say again is WOW! Thanks for the reply. If I can be honest, the frustrating thing that I struggle with at the moment is to find the time to incorporate the life of a Messianic Jew into my busy hectic life. Sometimes it seems like I'm torn apart from all direction, which tempts me to try the Amish life (sometimes). LOL :D
    I mean, for example it's so hard sometimes to even just read and reply in your blog. I do realise that this comes across as a lame excuse but if you take this example and flare the picture, I hope you can assimilate with how one's life can be so compressed that one can't even stop and smell the roses.

    Anyhow, sorry for went on too much about it. I will take your advise to embark and embrace the journey. It does also frustrate me that I feels like such a long way to go and I can't even see the other end of the tunnel yet. But as said, it's not a marathon. So I will faithfully put my foot in front of the other foot no matter how many times it takes.

    Thank you very much for the explanation regarding the Parshat. It does make sense as by doing that, all the verses in Torah are covered for the whole year :) I wonder why is it not done with the Tanakh though. Is it because 24 is too much compared to 5 books?

    And thanks for the explanation of the blessings and the curses. It's well understood and I have no further comment on that.

    Regarding your question, yes I would like to do Mikhveh one day when I feel that I posses the right attitude, skills and knowledge of being a Messianic Jew :)

    Oh, and even though my partner does not have a perfect record on being patience (we are all human after all), but he took his chance with me. So, besides wanting to be closer to YHWH, I'd also like to return him the favor :) Thanks for the prayer.


    Yv

    ReplyDelete